P & C Association
The P&C association is a feature of nearly all public schools in the ACT. Schools benefit from the support of their P&Cs.
The Parents & Citizens Association is a diverse group of friendly parents and community members who work together with our fabulous Calwell High Principal, Deputy Principal and staff to coordinate functions and great projects to aid the whole school community.
The role of the P&C association in ACT government schools is to:
- support the school for the benefit of all students,
- promote parent participation in the work of the school and encourage strong positive,
- community support,
- provide a forum for parents to discuss and debate school issues,
- provide parent input to educational issues and policies (especially via Council).
P&Cs can fulfil these roles by:
- seeking effective home/school communication, determining parent needs about reporting on student progress, encouraging language translation where necessary and appointing class representative contacts
- holding events which create opportunities for the school community to interact socially and/or promote the school
- encouraging parents to participate in decision-making and school policy development by providing forums for parent discussion of problems and issues, ensuring that interested parents stand for election to the school board and being involved in school development reviews
- supporting parent involvement in learning at home with information to help parents assist learning, ensuring the school’s homework policy is well publicised, and by organising workshops for parents
- providing opportunities for parents to volunteer in the school, and encouraging volunteers to help in the library, classroom and at excursions, sports days and so on
- operating school support services such as the canteen, before/after school care programs, uniform shop
- fundraising for resources
- organising working bees to enhance the school environment
- supporting school events by, for example, providing catering and encouraging social interaction.
How Does The Parents & Citizens Association Operate?
At our meetings, held once per term, we facilitate a positive, relaxed and fun forum to enable discussion and development of ideas with parents and staff. Together we can create an even better school for our students, and through increased communication at our meetings, enable future community relationships to flourish; benefiting all of Calwell High school, as well as cluster primary schools and colleges.
The Calwell High School P&C meetings are in weeks 3 and 8 of each term.
Why Join Your Parents & Citizens Association?
Your ideas, wisdom, perspective and input are important; without which we cannot offer extra school services, create partnerships or represent concerns and solutions to the school and community.
Being involved also benefits the parent and their family. Research shows that when parents are involved, their children get better grades and have a better attitude to school and improved behaviour.
Being involved in the P&C can have several advantages for parents:
- meeting other parents in the community which leads to a feeling of belonging and enhanced wellbeing
- getting to know teachers better, especially the principal, which makes it easier to approach them if there is a question
- understanding more about what happens at school so that you can assist your child more effectively
- having a chance to voice your opinion about school matters
- acquiring new skills (for example, business, management and financial skills,
- experience running meetings, event planning)
- demonstrating a positive attitude to schooling to your child which has a great influence on their attitude and achievement
- the satisfaction of contributing directly to your child’s education by helping provide additional resources for their school.
But What Does It All Mean?
Your kind contribution of just two hours a month can help achieve fabulous outcomes for our students and school community. It's not all about fundraising! The more parents and carers involved, the better communication and understanding we have; allowing all students to add value to their educational experience. The excellent resources, such as our vibrant Arts programs in Dance and Music, that are available to our students have been made possible by these past community efforts.
What Can I Do?
Please come along and join our Parents & Citizens Association, which equals 12 hours a year to provide your ideas and feedback!
If you are unable to participate, please pay your voluntary contribution, so that we can reduce fundraising and purchase new resources and equipment for all the Calwell High School students and community.
Perhaps you have a business or skill that can help in the school too, we would love to hear from you!